Come attend the Sanskrit 101 Workshop at Woodstock Yoga.
This Workshop is designed specifically for the new Woodstock Yoga Teacher Trainees…
but you might be interested in coming too!
The workshop is THIS SUNDAY, February 26, 1:30-4:30 at:
WOODSTOCK YOGA CENTER
6 Deming Street , Woodstock
Cost is $40. (Woodstock Yoga Center teachers – $30)
Please shoot me an email (bxboris at yahoo dot com) so I know how many copies to make of the handouts. There will be LOTS of handouts!!!! Bring notebook, pens, paper, your glasses (!). This will be all reading/ chanting/ drawing/ writing.
Bring the following books: Light on Yoga, Light on the Yoga Sutras (both by BKS Iyengar), Yoga the Iyengar Way (Mehta), the Preliminary Course (Geeta Iyengar). Yoga Sutras & Preliminary Course available for purchase at Woodstock Yoga.
There will be asana breaks in between sections.
Here is a rough OUTLINE of what will be covered:
- why Sanskrit is important and relevant to yoga practice
- aural tradition and the power of sound
- warm up voice exercises
- chanting vs. singing
- why we chant OM in a yoga class
- The Mandukya Upanishad on the Four States of OM
- drawing OM
- chant OM 108 times
- scientific organization
- positions in the mouth
- aspirated consonants, long/short vowels, s’s
- transliterations/ common spellings
- practice chanting (mouth yoga!)
- common yoga words to know and their roots and meanings
- practice pronunciation
- vedic vs. traditional vs. KD vs. new age
- Invocation to Patanjali
- lokah samastah sukhinoh bhavantu
- saha na vavutu
- asato ma sad gamaya
- yogas chitta vritti nirodhaha
- stira sukham asanam
- Teacher Trainees will have homework
- As a guest to the Workshop you can elect to do it or not.
- If you want Yoga Alliance Credit towards your E-RYT status you must do the homework.
OM OM OM
AUM AUM AUM
(by Sunday you will understand the difference in spelling!)
See you there,